From La Selva Ecolodge, Ecuador.
I was thrilled to see a group of these ornate birds, called hoatzin (Opisthocomus hoazin) or stinkbird. Their genus name is apparently ancient Greek meaning “wearing long hair behind” in reference to the large crest on their heads.
I had been wanting to see a hoatzin since I was taking fake pictures of them in the rainforest in the 90s PC game Amazon Trail.
Weekly Photo Challenge: Ornate
From mainland Ecuador and the Galápagos islands.
Ecuador is such a colorful place! Clockwise from top left:
- Sally Lightfoot crabs are a common sight on the seaside rocks of the Galápagos islands.
- I found many flowers in the highlands around Quito.
- The minerals in the volcanic rocks of Bartolomé give them this cool (or should I say warm?) color.
- Close-up in the butterfly house at La Selva lodge in the lowland rainforest.
- I spotted these hoatzins from my cabin at La Selva; playing Amazon Trail as a kid truly prepared me for life as a biologist! 🙂
Weekly Photo Challenge: Orange