This MV by mega-group EXO is done completely in one shot! Can you imagine how much practice that took?
EXO is actually made up of 2 groups with 6 members each: EXO-K sings in Korean, and EXO-M sings in Mandarin Chinese. When they all get together, having 12 members on screen can be a little overwhelming, so I really like how they kept them in 2 groups at first.
If my drinking game for SHINee is mouth touching, then my one for EXO is the crotch grab. Seriously, like 3 times in the first 30 sec.
Also, if you notice at 2:14, Kai’s hat falls off, and he has to put it back on during his part. He’s quite smooth about it, a sign of good training. I kinda love that they kept that in there; probably not worth redoing the whole video for a mistake that small. (It’s “correct” in the Mandarin Chinese version, though.)
I love the costumes they chose. The high-school-style uniforms make them look young and cohesive, while letting them individualize their style a bit with the details. And the hats are a great part of the choreography.
- Suho (white armband, leader)
- Chanyeol (sleeveless, main rapper)
- D.O. (2nd bowtie, main vocalist)
- Kai (NY hat, main dancer)
- Sehun (maknae)
- Kris (former member/leader)
- Luhan (pink hair, former member)
- Lay (main dancer)
- Chen (main vocalist)
- Tao (maknae)
More from EXO:
We’re back with 2NE1, my favorite K-pop group, for this animated music video. If you like anime, you should check this one out!
The girls have been transformed into their animated selves as seen on the cover of their second mini album.
I like the MV’s story of the girls’ bounty hunter team trying to capture the terrorist bomber guy (who kinda looks like a character from Death Note…). It has some fun action, and manages to show their personalities as well, with their choice of weapons, etc. And the animation is really cool!
- Minzy (short black hair)—main dancer, lead vocalist, lead rapper, maknae
- Dara (long brown hair)—visual, vocalist
- CL (blonde)—leader, main rapper, lead vocalist
- Bom (red hair)—main vocalist
“Main” is ranked higher than “lead” in these positions. CL is actually not the oldest but simply has the personality to be the leader. The “maknae” is the baby of the group. The visual is basically the most attractive member who does promotional activities.
When I first heard this song, I couldn’t tell their voices apart, so if you are curious:
- 1st verse: Minzy
- 2nd verse: Dara
- Pre-chorus: Bom
- Chorus (the “hate you” part): CL
More from 2NE1:
Like many K-pop groups, these girls also have English and Japanese singles:
I think we can sum up this video with one of its top comments on YouTube: “R.i.p. for all the shawols [SHINee fans] who tried to learn this dance.”
SHINee is known for their amazing dancing and choreography, and this is one of their best.
The members (in the order they start singing):
- Onew (0:04)—leader, lead vocalist
- Taemin (0:11)—main dancer, vocalist, maknae
- Jonghyun (0:12)—main vocalist
- Key (0:58)—vocalist, lead rapper
- Minho (1:40)—main rapper, visual
“Main” is ranked higher than “lead” in these positions. The leader is typically the oldest, and the maknae is the baby of the group. The visual is basically the most attractive member who does promotional activities.
Things I love about this video:
- Taemin’s long hair and Key’s half-mohawk thing…or whatever is going on with his hair, I like it
- Jonghyun looks better in a backless shirt than most women
- Wouldn’t be a K-pop video without pretty cars
- Taemin looks so into the dancing at 1:46! Adorable.
- The special effects are actually pretty cool; the song is kind of about feeling bewitched by a girl (“Her whisper is the Lucifer”) and trying to break free
- I said last time my drinking game for SHINee would be a shot every time one of them touches his mouth in some way, and that continues to be true in this video
- The Japanese version MV has the same great choreography, but incorporates some of the splash dancing they did in their RingDingDong video.
More from SHINee:
The MVs for fun summer songs typically have things like beaches and girls in bikinis. What does f(x) have? A bright pink tank. That’s right. Boom.
These girls are absolutely fabulous and they always have fun choreography. I think of them as SHINee’s sister group. They are also very multi-cultural: Victoria is Chinese, Amber is Taiwanese-American, and Krystal was also born in America. Krystal is also the younger sister of Jessica from Girls’ Generation.
If “Hot Summer” sounds familiar, it might be because it was done first in English by a German pop group.
- Krystal (0:21)—lead vocalist, maknae
- Sulli (0:29)—visual, vocalist
- Victoria (0:37)—leader, main dancer
- Amber (0:44)—main rapper
- Luna (0:55)—main vocalist, lead dancer
“Main” is ranked higher than “lead” in these positions. The oldest is typically the leader. The “maknae” is the youngest of the group, but Sulli is sometimes called the “2nd maknae” because she is only a few months older than Krystal and usually has the cutest look. The visual is basically the most attractive member who does promotional activities.
Their best song (though not quite as good of a video) is also one of my favorite K-pop songs ever: Electric Shock. It will absolutely get stuck in your head.
Even more from f(x):
This video for BIGBANG’s breakout hit has a pretty sober story (much like their famous “Haru Haru” one), but it also has some weird touches.
All the Silly Things:
- That pink Razor phone was totally awesome at the time. Also, there were pay phones?
- Daesung is wearing only one sleeve of his jacket for like the whole video.
- Roller skating in the parking garage.
- Seungri opens the car door for her at 1:40.
- T.O.P in a shopping cart…
- Taeyang puts eggs in her shopping cart for her at 2:07.
- It looks like she attacks him with a pineapple, but it’s actually a potted plant.
- So much running in this video.
- Blooper reel!
- G-Dragon (0:56)—main rapper, leader
- Seungri (1:13)—vocalist, lead dancer, maknae
- T.O.P (1:40)—lead rapper
- Daesung (2:04)—lead vocalist
- Taeyang (3:25)—main vocalist, main dancer
“Main” is ranked higher than “lead” in these positions. G-Dragon is actually not the oldest but simply has the personality to be the leader. The “maknae” is the baby of the group. As for the visual (the “face” of the group), GD and TOP both could fill this role.
More from BIGBANG: