Lens-Artists Challenge #128 – And Here Comes the Holiday Season…

My kid’s first ornament

It is a strange, surreal holiday season for sure. Things are the same and yet completely different. It’s our first Christmas with two kids, yet also our first not visiting any family. How to cope? To my mind, it’s a matter of holding on to what traditions we can, while keeping an open heart to starting new traditions.

An ornament from my childhood

So here are two ornaments from our Christmas tree this year. The first is an ornament made by my oldest, the first ornament he’s ever made himself. It’s the first year he’s been old enough to make something like this, and I’m looking forward to having it on our tree for years to come. He even helped me decorate the tree this year, too!

The other is one of my favorite ornaments from my childhood, a carousel horse. I always make sure to hang it right by one of the lights so it catches the color. The box of ornaments I happened to open first had many ornaments from my husband’s childhood as well, so opening every ornament was full of special memories for us all.

(The Christmas tree is also new. I normally like having a real tree, but it just seemed like too much work this year, so we ordered this one that has color changing lights! It is great! I had the lights set to twinkling teal when I took the pictures.)

Merry Christmas to you all, and many blessings to you and yours in the new year!

You can find more holidays at the original Lens-Artist challenge.

7 thoughts on “Lens-Artists Challenge #128 – And Here Comes the Holiday Season…

1. Jennifer December 23, 2020 / 10:46 am

I’m glad you’re still finding ways to celebrate happiness this year. It’s definitely a different picture then usual!

2. For Tyeth December 23, 2020 / 12:15 pm

Hello Mei-Mei (and family too!) thanks for sharing these images. I love the Christmas Star ornament…your youngling has talent at such a young age. And the carousel horse I like as it reminds me of my late grandfather who was a Master Craftsman and Artist (this was a high level qualification in the UK back in the 30’s up till the 70’s). He could paint, draw, sculpt and do woodwork…which included carving and painting full size galloping horses for the fairground and circus community. I think I inherited a little of his artistic talent. This just reminded me of him though I never got to meet him. Thanks for cheering me up and I hope you and yours have a great holiday season and that 2021 treats you better than 2020 has!

• Mei-Mei December 23, 2020 / 12:53 pm

Thank you for sharing about your grandfather! That’s so cool. So glad it brought happy memories for you. All the best to you in the new year!

3. Leya December 23, 2020 / 4:16 pm

A lovely piece of your celebrations, Mei-Mei! You have at least one child full of talent! And I love your horse ornament. So beautiful – I understand why you set it to catch the light. Glorious. And being able to find beauty and joy this strange Christmas is a gift in itself. ♥ Merry Christmas ans a Better New Year I wish for you and yours!

4. Tina Schell December 23, 2020 / 4:50 pm

Well Mei-Mei, there is nothing better than Christmas with a young child. You see the world through the wonder in their eyes. You’re so right – that ornament will be on your tree for many many years. Enjoy the season and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

5. JulieG December 24, 2020 / 7:40 pm

Stay safe and I hope you and yours have a wonderful, restful Christmas and holiday! 🙂