Fan Art Friday: Queen Amidala

Amidala

Kiri and I are postponing our coloring book pictures this month, so I’m bringing you an original drawing.  Just as with Cardcaptor Sakura, I enjoyed drawing Queen Amidala because I could invent elaborate outfits for her.  This one seems a bit medieval-inspired.  The writing says “Queen Amidala” in Japanese katakana, though I made a small mistake in “queen.”  The date is 2006, when I was at university.  I was beginning to study Japanese and probably practicing the characters I was learning.

8 thoughts on “Fan Art Friday: Queen Amidala

1. Madame Writer September 7, 2018 / 11:38 am

It’s a beautiful picture, especially her dress! And her hair thing (veil? crown? a bit of both?). Love it all!

• Mei-Mei September 8, 2018 / 9:12 am

Yeah, it is kind of a veil/crown combo haha. Thanks! I always had such fun designing elaborate outfits.

2. saraletourneau September 7, 2018 / 8:23 pm

Nice job! Amidala did have some gorgeous outfits and headdresses. She alone was one of my favorite things about The Phantom Menace (which hopefully says something good, since the movie itself was a bit meh…?).

• Mei-Mei September 8, 2018 / 9:14 am

Amidala’s aesthetic is definitely one of the highlights of the prequels! They got that right at least 😀

3. For Tyeth September 8, 2018 / 5:48 am

Hi Mei-Mei, great sketch just as the two young ladies have already said. That tiara reminds me of a Japanese animation character but for the life of me I can’t place the name (come to think of it, it might even be from a card game!). With this postponement at least I have a little while longer to finish my mandala I’m working on (unfortunately I’ve had a hectic few weeks with a family medical issue soo haven’t had time to finish my colouring) Thanks for sharing.

• Mei-Mei September 8, 2018 / 9:17 am

Thanks FT! It’s very likely that I was inspired by an anime character since that’s what most of my drawings were. The coloring always helps me destress from real life, so I hope it does that for you, too. Looking forward to seeing what you’ve been working on!

• For Tyeth September 8, 2018 / 9:33 am

Hello again, with the past month I’ve had I need some R&R! Hopefully my mandala will be a recognisable character but with a bit of a twist.

4. starwarsanon September 14, 2018 / 4:16 pm

Ah, I definitely see the medieval twist to it. I like it. 🙂 And glad you got to post something Star Wars-y while I was out!