Fan Art Friday: Cowabunga Clone Trooper

Welcome back to our Star Wars coloring book club, where Kiri at Star Wars Anonymous and I color the same image every month to compare and contrast.

This month I decided I was tired of coloring everything in a symmetrical pattern, so I wanted to do the four Captain Rex clone trooper helmets all different colors.

For some reason, an inspiration immediately sprang to mind: my childhood heroes, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  Four helmets, four Ninja Turtles.  The more I looked at the picture, the more I liked that idea.  The circle in the center even kind of looks like a turtle shell.

Thematically, it works really well also.  The Ninja Turtles may be an American creation, but they are inspired by the culture of Japan, just like Star Wars.  The style of the helmets of Vader (and consequently the storm troopers) seem partly inspired by Japanese samurai helmets.  Obi-Wan’s sojourn on Tatooine seems much like the life of a ronin.  And most specifically, the Kurosawa’s movie The Hidden Fortress was a huge inspiration to George Lucas when making the movie that would come to be known as A New Hope.

This one was pretty quick and fun; maybe not one of my favorites, but I enjoyed it.  And for the record, Michelangelo is the best Ninja Turtle.  Cowabunga!

14 thoughts on “Fan Art Friday: Cowabunga Clone Trooper

1. For Tyeth July 6, 2018 / 12:39 pm

Yo Dudette Mei-Mei! I knew it wasn’t going to be long before you started thinking like me, you have started mixing your franchises just like yours truly! I have to say I really like the crossover, it works brilliantly. And that star in the middle? It’s a Shuriken a.k.a. a Ninja throwing star! Thanks.

• Mei-Mei July 6, 2018 / 12:48 pm

Definitely a shuriken! Love it! 😁

2. starwarsanon July 6, 2018 / 2:27 pm

I like how you incorporated TMNT! Funnily, I incorporated Battlestar Galactica and that is really coincidental that we both had a cross-over franchise month. Hahaha.

Funnily, yours actually reminded me of Power Rangers when I first saw it – because of the colors on the helmets.

Yours is definitely way more happy and light than mine. But, I totally loved this month’s coloring choice. I thought it was super fun and I loved everything about my picture – which is drastically different form yours.

• Mei-Mei July 6, 2018 / 6:44 pm

I love that we were both on the same wavelength with the crossovers, even though our pictures look totally different! I could totally see Power Rangers also…another Japanese cultural product 😉

3. saraletourneau July 6, 2018 / 7:47 pm

HAHAHAHAHA! I watched TMNT when I was younger, too! I think my favorite was either Leonardo or Donatello. I don’t remember, tbh. XD

And I agree, that was a neat color theme to inspire your choices for this picture. This also reminds me that I haven’t colored in my mandala coloring book for a while…

• Mei-Mei July 6, 2018 / 8:20 pm

How could you not remember your favorite Ninja Turtle?! Haha

Hope you can find some time to color soon, too 🙂

4. Michael J. Miller July 7, 2018 / 12:30 pm

Aaaahhh!!! I love it! I’ve been playing with the idea of a piece on my life in Ninja Turtle memories as I’ve been binging some of the Nickelodeon cartoons lately. This made my day! However, I did notice one small typo. I think you meant, “And for the record, RAPHAEL is the best Ninja Turtle. Cowabunga!” Just trying to help ;).

• Mei-Mei July 8, 2018 / 5:25 pm

LOL thank you so much for catching my typo! But seriously, I don’t think I’ve ever met someone who said Raph is their favorite. We’re spreading the love around. Are the new cartoons good? I haven’t gotten a chance to see them.

• Michael J. Miller July 10, 2018 / 12:13 am

I’ve always loved Raph! When I was little, it was because he wore a red bandanna and red was my favorite color. Haha, there was more insight to it than that. As I’ve grown up, I still love him…because (while I have a long fuse) sometimes I think my temper can can get the best of me (especially when I’m experiencing technical difficulties XD ). So I connect/empathize with him in a real way now. We both have (occasional) anger issues to work on!

And I’m really enjoying the new cartoons! It’s the series that ran on Nickelodeon from 2012-2017. I’m just watching the DVDs my local video store has (and YES I still live in a town with a remaining video store! I love it!) so I’m not watching in order or anything. I think they retain the spirit of the original series while making it their own. It’s fun to see what they use from the old show and what they tweak here and there. They throw in so many great references to the old show, movies, comics etc. I think they’re all on Hulu but I’m a Netflix/Amazon guy (hence the DVD rentals). But you should certainly check them out when you have the time!