Announcing a Little Jedi

As many of you who have read my recent posts have apprehended, B and I are expecting a son at the end of November.  Everything we do is geeky, so why would having a baby be any different?

We’ve already bought/received baby clothes with dinosaurs on them, a Star Wars baby calendar, and a geeky baby memory book.

One of the most exciting things for me so far has been the sonogram.  For my research job, I often look at echocardiograms, that is, sonograms of the heart.  I was so excited that they could see the baby’s heart movement; it looked just like the images I study to calculate heart function parameters.  Although the technician kind of laughed when I told her what machine we use to take the sonograms; it was the same kind she’d used when she first trained decades ago.  That’s research for you.

Right now, B and I are trying to decide on a name.  Naturally, we have several from Star Wars in the running:

Which is your favorite?  B tried to throw in some Star Trek names, like “Tiberius” and “Montgomery Scott,” but I nixed those.  Sorry.  Any other suggestions with a geeky/nerdy theme?

I will be honest, I don’t know how this blog will change once I have a kid.  Though I will be taking some time off from work, I am not planning on quitting my 9-5 research job, which will likely mean reduced writing time.  I may only be able to do one post a week, or likely even fewer.  And I’m sure a few mommy-type things will pop up here from time to time, but right now I don’t have any plans to completely change my blog theme of geeky/nerdy stuff.

We’ll just have to wait and see.  I hope you’ll all stick with me through what is possibly one of the biggest life changes imaginable!

18 thoughts on “Announcing a Little Jedi

1. MK September 18, 2017 / 1:37 pm

Wooohooo for you! I was kind of hoping you’d be running a contest for best baby names, and wondering whether the grand prize would be a coloring book or a small starship or light sword? In the meantime I’ll work on my suggestions…

• Mei-Mei September 18, 2017 / 10:23 pm

Haha I kinda love this idea. Can’t wait to hear your suggestions…XD

2. Nancy September 18, 2017 / 2:36 pm

Congratulations! As a parent of a Luke, I obviously shall vote for that name!

• Mei-Mei September 18, 2017 / 10:22 pm

Ah, that’s awesome! I have always liked that name 🙂

3. kwenzqoatl September 18, 2017 / 6:11 pm

Congratz!! 😀 I’ll continue to be here wishing you all the best.

• Mei-Mei September 18, 2017 / 10:21 pm

thank you! I really hope he likes Kpop haha

• Mei-Mei September 23, 2017 / 8:29 am

Thank you 🙂 That dinosaur outfit was something I had to buy immediately when I saw it haha.

4. saraletourneau September 19, 2017 / 8:40 pm

Congratulations! And oh my gosh, everything you’ve bought him so far is ADORABLE. I love the theme you have going. As for names, I like Luke and Gavin equally, but it’s more important that you choose your favorite of the bunch. 😉

• Mei-Mei September 23, 2017 / 8:28 am

Thank you! I’ve always loved the name Gavin, but it’s gotten a lot more popular recently!

5. starwarsanon September 22, 2017 / 4:56 pm

Luke or Cassian. I do love the name Cassian though I was not a fan of Rogue One. And if you do Luke, then we can be buds if I have a son because we’ll name our son Luke (this has already been decided). I am jinxing myself and will have all girls – though that wouldn’t be bad. I went from only wanting a son to now loving having a girl and I want girls for my whole life!

AND HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE JEDI FIRST YEAR CALENDAR? I must have had a malfunction. I’ve never even seen that! Though – FYI – ARM totally slowed down on a lot of the milestones after 7 months and so those things stressed me out. She’s totally fine, but was definitely not hitting what they said she was “supposed” to.

• Mei-Mei September 23, 2017 / 8:27 am

See, we had a girl name picked out, so of course we are having a boy 😀

I found that calendar randomly while wandering in Books A Million. I think it was the first baby thing I bought!

• Mei-Mei September 24, 2017 / 3:43 pm

Thank you! I like Corran a lot, too. It would certainly be unique!