I know haven’t been nearly so overwhelmingly enthusiastic this December about the upcoming Star Wars movie as I was last December. But that’s not to say I’m not excited. I’ve had my tickets for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story for a couple weeks now–I’ll be seeing it at 9pm on Thursday Dec 15 at my hometown theater.
Last week at Target I picked up a T-shirt to wear to the opening. They have a whole collection there as part of the Force for Change initiative: for every shirt, Target donates $5 to UNICEF, up to $1 million total.
I picked this one because it was a nice color and had the best slogan: Go Rogue! It reminds me of Rogue Squadron, and there’s even tiny X-wing fighters in the background. It also has the Rebel crest; the letters on the crest are Aurebesh, which is the written form of Galactic Basic. It says “May the Force be with us.”
The early reviews I’ve seen of Rogue One have been overall positive! Here are a few things I’m looking forward to.
- After loving Rey in EpVII, I can’t wait for another awesome female protagonist in Jyn Erso.
- Michael Giacchino’s score. I consider him to be the successor to John Williams’ style of composing, and I can’t wait to see (hear?) what he does building off Williams’ themes.
- Snarky droids! Hopefully K-2SO (whose name sounds sooo close to potassium sulfate or sulfite) will be the heir of HK-47 and his ilk.
- A bit of a darker tone for Star Wars. As terrible as it sounds, I admit I’ll be disappointed if the whole cast makes it out alive.
- Lastly, as a big EU fan, these kinds of stories-between-stories about the “regular” people of the Star Wars galaxy have always been my favorite. Give me the spies, the fighter pilots, the infantry. There have been many EU stories taking place during the time leading up to A New Hope, and many of them are wonderful, so this movie has some big shoes to fill, but I’m excited to see where they go with it.