Yeah, it was great. Not a perfect movie, but really fun. It definitely warrants another trip to the theater sometime this weekend, or maybe over Christmas.
I actually switched showings to a 7:30 one at my hometown theater, where I saw at least one or two of the prequel movies. Because it’s a small theater, it wasn’t even that crowded (there was an empty seat next to me). But everyone seemed to have a great time.
- The new characters. I just love Finn, Rey, Poe, BB-8, and Maz, plus some other minor characters whose names I need to find out. The characters were so well written, and well acted. I think they will really breathe some life into Star Wars going forward. I was getting a little choked up thinking about how all the little girls going to see TFA this weekend have a character like Rey to look up to now.
- Good script. It was funny! And there were some very quote-able lines as well.
- Fast-paced. Almost too fast at times. It keeps up the energy and intensity very well, but I almost think some scenes could have used some room to breathe.
- It was pretty. From the opening pan-down shot, there were some really great visuals. Sets and props looked great, and there was some nice cinematography, including a cool shot following an X-wing in combat from a ground perspective.
- Skellig Michael was awesome! I absolutely recognized the shots from Skellig Michael right away. I was freaking out in the theater (my husband can attest, I was hitting his arm). It’s so cool to think I’VE BEEN THERE. Check out my post about it here.
- I haven’t mentioned the plot yet…because there were some weak spots. It wasn’t The Crystal Star-level bad, but it wasn’t outstanding either. Still, we have to remember that this is just the first movie in a trilogy, and I think it did a nice job with set-up, and definitely whetted our appetite for future films!
I’ll talk more about all these things in a spoiler-y post after the weekend.
Feel free to share your reactions in the comments, but please no spoilers here.