A K-pop series wouldn’t be complete without one of the most popular boy groups, Super Junior (or SuJu); I think of them as the brother group of Girls’ Generation. They have plenty of great videos, but “Mr. Simple” was the first I saw.
Super Junior videos focus a lot on choreography, and many of their moves are quite famous. Eunhyuk (the blond one) often gets a lot of focus in their videos as he is a great dancer, the best in the group. I think the dance break was added for the video; my version of the song doesn’t have it.
This video also has some lighting effects and words graphics that I admit I find hilarious. Also love:
- Guyliner, especially Leeteuk and Sungmin
- Rope necklaces?? And it has nothing to do with the lyrics as far as I know
- Heechul wearing sunglasses the whole time, and half-assing some of the moves, like “I’m too cool for this” hehehe
Many K-pop groups also have “subgroups” with a slightly different focus than the main group. Super Junior-M is a subgroup that sings in Mandarin Chinese; it currently includes 6 members of the main SuJu plus 2 additional members that are only in SuJu-M (Henry and Zhoumi).
The members (in the order they start singing):
- Kyuhyun (1:00)—maknae, lead vocalist
- Siwon (1:07)—vocalist, visual
- Heechul (1:14)—vocalist, rapper
- Donghae (1:22)—lead vocalist, lead dancer, rapper
- Yesung (1:29)—main vocalist
- Ryeowook (1:36)—main vocalist
- Sungmin (2:30)—lead vocalist, lead dancer (on hiatus)
- Leeteuk (2:37)—leader, vocalist, rapper
- Eunhyuk (2:51)—main dancer, main rapper, vocalist
- Shindong (3:41)—lead rapper, lead dancer (on hiatus)
“Main” is ranked higher than “lead” in these positions. The leader is typically the oldest, and the “maknae” is the baby of the group. The visual is basically the most attractive member, who does promotional work.
Super Junior’s line-up is often changing, due to commitments of its members. Six of its members have at some point taken a hiatus to complete their mandatory military service. Currently, they have 9 active members: Leeteuk, Heechul, Yesung, Kangin (who was on military hiatus during “Mr. Simple”), Eunhyuk, Siwon, Donghae, Ryeowook, and Kyuhyun.