Girls’ Generation (or SNSD, an abbreviation of their name in Korean) is one of the most popular girl groups in K-pop, and this is one of their most popular videos. It even won Video of the Year at the inaugural YouTube Music Awards in 2013.
The song is so eclectic I didn’t know what to make of it at first. And the video looks like Rainbow Brite threw up all over it, what with the multicolored, BeDazzled 80s fashions.
Tiffany and Jessica often speak English lines during SNSD’s songs; in IGAB, Tiffany does an intro just before the minute mark (“Hey let me introduce myself…) and Jessica transitions back to the chorus around 4:00 (Don’t stop…). These two girls were actually born in the US and spent their early childhood there, so they have perfect American accents when they speak English. (Several other members speak English very well also.)
The members (in the order they start singing):
- Sooyoung (0:31)—vocalist, lead dancer
- Yuri (0:44)—vocalist, lead dancer
- Tiffany (0:57)—lead vocalist
- Jessica (1:11)—main vocalist (she recently left the group)
- Taeyeon (1:13)—leader, main vocalist
- Seohyun (1:24)—lead vocalist, maknae
- Sunny (1:34)—lead vocalist
- Yoona (2:40)—vocalist, lead dancer, visual
- Hyoyeon (2:46)—main dancer (often raps as well)
“Main” is ranked higher than “lead” in these positions. The leader is typically the oldest, and the “maknae” is the baby of the group. The visual is basically the most attractive member, who does promotional work.