I was tagged by the lovely Hannah over at Things Matter with some fun questions…
1. What is your favourite book?
There is no way I can pick one. I do have a bookshelf next to my bed with all the books that I might feel like reading before I sleep.
2. What are your goals? For the year? For your life?
I am the least ambitious person ever. My main goal in life is to not dread getting up in the morning. Also, I’d like to write a book or two.
3. Are you a writer? If so, tell me about your work.
Yes, I have always been. I mostly wrote short stories and songs through high school and college, then stopped writing, then started this blog, then decided I had too many novels to keep in my head and now I’m working on writing them down. They are all primarily fantasy stories.
My current work in progress is a re-telling of the Mi’kmaq tale Oochigeaskw, aka The Rough Face Girl, with more overt fairy tale elements.
4. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?
Florida, where I grew up, or Salamanca, Spain, where I studied abroad in college. Also Ireland and Japan.
5. What was the last movie you saw in the theatre and was it worthwhile?
I saw Avengers: Age of Ultron and Cinderella at the drive-in last weekend. Both worthwhile.
6. I’m curious, are there any books that you’ve tried to read and simply couldn’t finish? This is a no judgement zone.
The Silmarillion (I’ll get there someday) and Inheritance, last book in the Eragon series (should I even bother trying to get there?)
7. Are you currently working on a new book/project right now? If it’s secret, you don’t have to tell me about it. If so, however, I hope it’s going well.
I have been working on Oochigeaskw for 1.5 years. When it’s done, you’ll be the first to know. Well, after my husband.
8. If you could live in any of your favourite books, which one would you choose?
Probably none, they all seem a little dangerous. I guess Pemberley would be okay.
9. Are there any book-to-movie adaptations that you think are just incredible? That you absolutely hated?
I thought The Help movie was better than the book. The Seeker, which purports to be based on The Dark is Rising, deserves to be deleted from existence.
10. What do you look for in a book that you want to read? What’s the first thing to capture your attention?
An interesting premise, and recommendations from authors I like/friends I trust.
11. If you’re an author, what do you do when you first get an idea for a book?
12. How do you feel about different genres? Romance? YA? Sci-Fi? Poetry? Do you have any favorites? Any least-favourites?
I love many, many genres. Sci-fi/fantasy/YA are my mainstays. I generally avoid horror.
13. If you could meet any writer in the world, dead or alive, who would it be?
I’d take any of my favorite authors (see above photo for some). Not sure it really matters, because if it’s anyone I admire, I doubt I’d be able to form coherent sentences around him/her.
14. Do you prefer Fiction or Non-Fiction?
I read lots of non-fiction (aka science journals) for my job, so I read more fiction for pleasure. I do enjoy both.
15. Are there any characters that everyone loves that you can’t stand? Or vice versa?
I can’t stand House. I won’t watch that show.
Meiling Li from the Cardcaptor Sakura anime is a pretty annoying character but for some reason she’s my favorite (she’s also the inspiration for my pen name).
16. What do you like to do besides reading/writing?
Take naps, eat sweets, cuddle with cats, play tennis, play flute, play video games, scrapbook, cross-stitch, and watch TV shows with my husband B.
17. If you could be remembered for one thing, what would it be?
Being a good person. Or curing heart disease or something.
18. What is your favourite guilty pleasure book?
Maybe Cardcaptor Sakura, only considering that I’m about twice as old as when I was first into it.
19. Do you have a reading goal set for this year?
20. Tell me anything about yourself that I haven’t asked. Random fact. Weird human trick. Whatever.
I wear my watch on the inside of my wrist. I don’t really know why.
And I bet right now you’re thinking, “She wears a watch?”
Don’t even bother with Inheritance. I barely got started with it and realized I was wasting my life.
Haha, thank you!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I can’t wait to watch Cinderella! Glad to see you thought it was worthwhile 🙂 .
It’s not as good as Ever After or anything, but it’s fun and very, very pretty.
LikeLiked by 1 person