Even if you haven’t watched any of the K-pop MVs I’ve posted so far, you’re going to want to see this one.
Sorry, Kanye, but this is one of the best videos of all time. It’s the 5th most viewed K-pop video on YouTube (and the 4 above it are from PSY).
Where do I even start with this video? The fashion? The dystopian theme? The beat that makes you “wanna dance dance dance da-ance?” I’m pretty sure it’s just summed up by: EPIC.
BIGBANG and 2NE1 are both signed by YG Entertainment, and have similar styles, so they’re kind of thought of as brother-sister groups. They even collaborated on a commercial song Lollipop (now that is a terrible video).
The members (in the order they start singing):
- G-Dragon (0:06)–main rapper, leader
- Taeyang (0:21)–main vocalist, main dancer
- TOP (1:10)–lead rapper
- Daesung (1:32)–lead vocalist
- Seungri (2:16)–vocalist, lead dancer, maknae
“Main” is ranked higher than “lead” in these positions. G-Dragon is actually not the oldest but simply has the personality to be the leader. The “maknae” is the baby of the group. As for the visual (the “face” of the group), GD and TOP both could fill this role.
Things I love about this video:
- You’ll notice there’s no real choreography in this video. That’s pretty common for BIGBANG; the songs do have choreography, but they use it for their live stage shows instead of their videos.
- The members are kind of introduced one by one. Poor Seungri doesn’t even appear in the video until nearly 2 minutes in.
- Daesung’s blond hair. TOP’s blue hair. GD’s color-changing hair. EVERYBODY’S HAIR.
- Taeyang’s tats (which are not real).
- GD’s Dragonball tat (seen on his left shoulder at 1:48, which is real).
- All the thrones in the end shot are seen previously in the video except Daesung’s.
- Crowns are actually a symbol used by BIGBANG’s fan group members, called VIPs.
More from BIGBANG:
- Haru Haru (try not to cry while watching this one…)
- Good Boy (GD x Taeyang)
One thought on “K-pop MVs: BIGBANG’s “Fantastic Baby””