Here’s what I’m watching this fall:
- Once Upon a Time (ABC): Honestly, I was planning on dropping this show at the end of last season. But then they teased Frozen and it sucked me right back in. Darn you, Disney! I really do like the show’s characters, but the writing and plots just seem to have no focus. Hopefully the addition of Elsa (Fringe‘s Georgina Haig) and OUAT in Wonderland‘s Will Scarlet/Knave of Hearts will breathe some life back into this series.
- Agents of SHIELD (ABC): Have the first 2 episodes of this season on my DVR unwatched, but I am very eager to see where this show goes after last season got so good following the SHIELD/HYDRA reveal from Winter Soldier. Even Skye got tolerable! Also, I might be the only person on the planet that thinks Ward is redeemable.
- Arrow (CW): One of the best live-action superhero TV shows ever made. Oliver continues to build Team Arrow; I can’t wait to see Roy in his official Red Arrow/Arsenal get-up! I am not really an Olicity shipper, because I think Felicity is too good for Oliver, but I am interested to see where their relationship is going. I also have high hopes for Ra’s al Ghul, a favorite of mine, as the season’s antagonist.
- The Flash (CW): Spinning off of Arrow, this show could be as great if they can manage a lighter tone and keep the special effects decent. I loved Barry Allen in his guest appearance last season on Arrow, so I’m hoping the show will be a good addition to the DC TV-verse.
- Gotham (FOX): If you want a Batman show, watch Arrow. If you want a gritty drama about corrupt cops with slightly cheesy dialogue and heavy-handed Batman references, Gotham is your show. Ok, that’s a little snarky. I liked the pilot enough to give it a couple more episodes. But this is one of the shows I’m most concerned about quality-wise.
- Constantine (NBC): Another comic book property comes to TV. I’ve never read it, but John Constantine gives me kind of a Harry Dresden vibe: smartass “grey” magician mixed up with the darker side of the supernatural. So that’s got me interested enough to give this show a try. It doesn’t premiere until Oct 24, so I’ll let you know how it is.
- Star Wars Rebels (Disney XD): Watched the pilot over the weekend and I’m feeling hopeful. After we got through the terrible “Aladdin” opening scene, things got much better. I LOVE Hera, and Sabine is pretty cool so far, too. I think some of the voice acting and animation could be better, and I’m still not sold on Ezra. My favorite part of the episode was Agent Kallus kicking the stormtrooper in the head to knock him off the support beam.
- Legend of Korra (Nick.com): Season 4 is now online-only, which I hate. Season 3 ended on a really strong note, so I hope they keep the momentum going. The first episode jumped us a couple of years into the future, and Korra’s no longer the fiery, brash teenager she started as. In fact, she seems pretty lost. With trouble brewing in the rubble of the Earth kingdom, will Korra find her way back to spiritual balance? Or does this new world even need an Avatar?
- Sailor Moon Crystal (Hulu): A reboot of the Sailor Moon anime, hewing closer to the manga (which I’ve read). Episodes are coming out twice a month. I’ve only watched the first episode, but I really liked the look and feel of it so I’m excited to continue. I’ve only seen bits and pieces of the original anime (and the English dub was heavily edited anyway), so I really feel like this could be “my” Sailor Moon.
What are you guys watching?