For the past few weeks, I’ve been in “project mode,” making curtains for our home office. The ones it came with (when we moved in over 2 years ago) were fine, but dark and heavy. My husband is doing some work from home right now (ah, the life of a software developer), and we are trying to make the room look a tad more professional, since he has daily Skype sessions with his clients and bosses.
The office is also where I write a lot of the time. And where we play TOR. It has most of our books, and a tiny old TV hooked up to old gaming systems like the PlayStation and N64. We want it to be like our happy nerd haven in the house.
So, we picked a simple, cheery fabric, with vertical stripes that are conveniently easy to sew on. The pattern is basically a giant rectangle, with a few touches to make them hang well, etc. My mom and I made these from scratch; she did all the ironing and pinning, and I stitched all the seams. We added blackout material as a lining to keep the room dark when they’re closed.
Even working only a few hours a week, it took less than a month to do these. And since we bought the fabric and hanging rings with coupons, plus fairly cheap curtain rods from Target, they cost the same, if not less, than comparable curtains from the store.
B and I are both really happy with how the office looks now 🙂